Established in 1975, this is the only residency in a community based program affiliated with Centra Health, Inc. and the University of Virginia.
Residents care for patients in our model office in Lynchburg as well as the Big Island Family Medicine Center - our rural site. We offer a solid base in hospital medicine and care for patients at Lynchburg General Hospital and Virginia Baptist Hospital. Continuity of the physician-patient relationship is valued, and patients are also seen in local nursing homes and home visits.
Lynchburg is close to Charlottesville and Richmond and a few hours drive from Washington, D.C. and the Atlantic Ocean. Located at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Central Virginia, there are plenty of activities available such as white water rafting, canoeing, hiking, fishing, mountain biking, or simply exploring the scenic Blue Ridge Parkway.
Visit Lynchburg Family Medicine Residency and see what sets us apart!
- Enjoy an excellent faculty-to-resident ratio.
- Care for a diverse population and have access to patients in over 750 hospital beds; in state of the art hospitals and diverse medical specialties.
- Train in one of the busiest Emergency Departments in Virginia.
- Experience a realistic and humane call schedule with a “night float.”
- Work in an attractive, free-standing office, specifically designed for Family Medicine located near the hospital.
- Learn in a small group practice model through a program specifically designed for residents.
- Experience practice in rural or small communities through training in our nearby satellite clinic.
- Take advantage of a large variety of sport medicine opportunities on the field, or as a team physician.
- Be responsible for direct and primary patient care with close faculty back-up and supervision.
- Take advantage of significant elective time, which allows residents to tailor their training practice goals, including the opportunity for an international experience.
- Learn in a community where Family Medicine represents the second largest medical specialty in the community.
- Work with state-of-the-art hospitals and office technology as well as diverse medical specialties.
- Lynchburg, Virginia, with a population of 72,596 in a metropolitan area of 220,000, sits in the inspiring Blue Ridge Mountains.
- Benefit from Lynchburg’s low cost of living, friendly people and four beautiful seasons.
- A historical city founded in 1786 on the banks of the James River. It is at the heart of American History with its memories of Thomas Jefferson and the Civil War: truly Colonial Virginia at its best.
- An architectural treasure. Efforts of preservation and restoration of many old homes remind us that Lynchburg was one of the two wealthiest cities in the United States before the Civil War.
- An educational center with its five colleges: Sweet Briar College, Randolph-Macon Woman’s College, Lynchburg College, Liberty University and Central Virginia Community College and its outstanding public and private schools.
- Offers a variety of cultural events: art galleries, community symphony orchestra, ballets, concerts and plays.
- Has a moderate climate, not too hot, not too cold, but just right.
- Enjoy the fresh Virginia air and hike, bike, golf, play tennis, go boating and more.
- Known for its sporting events: The Virginia 10-Miler Race, Central Virginia Invitational and the Lynchburg Hill Cats professional baseball team.
- Proud of its family events and festivals prevalent year round: The bateau boat race, the Kaleidoscope Festival, the Virginia Historic Garden Tour and Friday Cheers.
- Enjoy a diverse economy with a low cost of living and very affordable housing.